Coronado Island, California is an affluent resort city located in San Diego County, California, across San Diego Bay from downtown San Diego. The town of Coronado was founded in 1885. The land was purchased by E.L Babcock, along with Hampton L. Story and Jacob Gruendike. Their intention was to create a resort community, and in 1886 the Coronado Beach Company was organized. By 1888 they had built the Hotel del Coronado and the city became a major resort destination. They also built a schoolhouse, and formed athletic, boating, and baseball clubs.
In 1900 a tourist/vacation area just south of the Hotel del Coronado was established and named Tent City. Over the years the tents gave way to cottages, the last of which was torn down in late 1940 or early 1941.
In the 1910s, Coronado was connected to San Diego by streetcars These streetcars became a fixture of this city until their retirement in 1939.