The Ban Jelacie Square or Main Square, Zagreb is the central square of the city of Zagreb, Croatia, named after ban Josip Jelačić. The official name is Trg bana Jelačića. It is colloquially referred to as Jelačić plac (derived from Platz, the German word for square or plaza) or simply Trg (“the square”).
It is located below Zagreb’s old city cores Gradec and Kaptol and directly south of the Dolac Market on the intersection of Ilica from the west, Radićeva Street from the northwest, the small streets Splavnica and Harmica from the north, Bakačeva Street from the northeast, Jurišićeva Street from the east, Praška Street from the southeast and Gajeva Street from the southwest. It is the center of the Zagreb Downtown pedestrian zone.
The square has existed since the 17th century. Its first name was Harmica. It features buildings belonging to different architectural styles ranging fromclassicism, secession and modernism. The oldest standing building is situated at 18 Ban Jelačić Square. It was built in 1827.